Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Provisional Cast On

... Kicked my butt!

I've never done it before and I heard about it all the time - what magic it would do with the toe for a sock or just want to have live stitches to knit the other half of the stole, etc.

Well, Moondance required a provisional cast on, so I decided to give it a try tonight. But it just wasn't working! It turns out that I was using the wrong yarn to start - I had this lace weight yarn Archiknist gave me to try so I was using that for the crochet chain. Instead, Archiknist suggested to use a thick yarn and Judy gave me some for use. An hour later after I started, I have this:



It's not much (only the cast on row and the first row) but I am feeling quite tired after squinting and finding the loops for cast on for an whole hour. I'm thinking I might have to break my own rules and cast on another project for mindless knitting... Just a thought.

Oh, and I think I want to learn Tatting. (Among spinning and dying and all the other fiber-y things I want to do).

3 comments:

Kathleen C. said...

I took a workshop in tatting this past Fall...
It's really fun, but it can take a while to figure out how to get it to work. The two threads have to loop around each other and then switch places... hard to explain and weird to do. But boy is it a cool feeling when you "get it"!
If you do pick it up I look forward to seeing what you do with it! You do great work!

Hunny said...

That is going to look awesome when it is done. I checked out the link. Very nice. I have to ask what needles is it on? are those knitpicks?

jennsquared said...

kathleen c. - I centainly will try it! Probably after my wedding though... too much going on :P

firemanshunny - Thos are KnitPicks Harmony and I absolutely adore them!