Sunday, September 16, 2007

As Seen On TV

Ever seen an infomercial? Ever want to try the product but don't want to risk your money and the hassle of buying it online or order via the phone? Yeah, me too.

One day few weeks ago, David and I were watching TV and one of the infomercial was on for some slicer thing for vegetables. I was busy knitting so I didn't pay attention. All of the sudden, David said, "Hun, did you see that?" Of course, we rewound it and I was actually bored with it. I said, "yeah, it looks cool, but does it really work? Plus they have similar stuff from the kitchen stores, we don't have to buy it from infomercial and it would be easier to return it if we don't like it." David then said, "Just keep watching!" hmmm... okay... a minute later - "OH MY GOD, I WANT THAT THING!" And that thing would the the "free gift" for the slicer - Tater Mitts!!! Yeah, it looked SO COOL! But of course, I wasn't gonna order it just to get the tater mitts, I figure I can probably find it at an ASOT store at the mall, if I remember then I will buy one.

Thursday night, David and I went to Target to find something and there it is, sitting on the shelf, Tater Mitts!!!! Of course, I came home with one:



So needless to say, I tried it out tonight.

The Claim: Peel a potato without getting your hands wet in 8 seconds.

The Start:


30 seconds later:


Apparently, my hands are way too small for the gloves and they are not snuggly fit to them and make it hard to peel. So I have David took over and try it:



The Verdict: The claim of 8 seconds a potato is not true - unless they use a super small potato! Even David took at least a minute to peel it. But it does peel very clean and thin, so the thinly peel part of the claim is true. The water does kinda spell onto your shirt if you are not careful. Overall I give it a 3 and half stars out of 5! It is safer so you don't get cut by the peeler - alright, maybe not everyone is as clumsy as me, but for me it is safer.

We tried out the fries cutter as well, it works very well but hard to press to begin with. It is very uniformly cut once it does go through. So the free gift gets a 3 and half stars as well.

I think I will keep it for now. We definitely had a good laugh playing with it.



On the knitting front, I am working feverishly on MS3. I am on Clue 6 (chart I) one third of it done. I am really hoping that I can finish it by next week as Secret of the Stole is starting pretty soon. I am way behind on Hanami, and I haven't started Hemlock Ring Blanket either, or the Autumn Rose... yes, I am very behind. Granted, I don't have the yarn for the two lace stoles, but I do have the yarn for Hemlock Ring and Autumn Rose, however, I promised myself that I will finish MS3 first, only then, I can cast on a new project.

Now, I am not just behind on knitting, I am even behind on my swapping! For Football-a-long, I joined the swap (it's not a secret swap) and was assigned a swapee - Robin from The Knittin' Coop! She's got an awesome blog and just had two new additions to the family, so go check it out! Anyways, so I emailed Robin and explained to her that I had a late start and she was very understanding of the whole thing. I will be sending her some awesome stuff her way very soon - all football related. Hopefully she'll like it!

Well, that's all there is to it. Time to get back to MS3 and football and baseball - Go Patriots and Red Sox! For giggles, I leave you these:

Found you!
  • You signed up on July 27, 2007
  • You are #21089 on the list.
  • 7610 people are ahead of you in line.
  • 12103 people are behind you in line.
  • 40% of the list has been invited so far

David and Vanilla


My two white dogs - all 185 lbs

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are those bits on the gloves anyway? I guess another down side is that you're just running water the whole time.

I've seen a similar thing around that helps you peel garlic quickly. I'm dubious that it works.

Kim said...

Those gadgets sound really cool! BTW...I'm your Football Along Swap person. I just emailed you too. Hope that you get it.

LOVE your dogs!!!!

Octopus Knits said...

I was very entertained by your Tater Mitts expose! (I especially love the photo of you roaring at the camera with your spikey gloves raised.)

Love the David/Vanilla stare down/nose rub. Your dogs are big cuties!

P.S. Thanks for your nice comments on my Fifi and MS3! I'm definitely enjoying the Hemlock Ring Blanket -- have fun with it!

Anonymous said...

Hmm...interesting. I would buy it if it peeled other stuff too...I just hate peeling all together.
By the way I like that black top you're wearing. Did you make that?

Sneaksleep said...

Love the tater mit review. :) And the cute doggie pics! Seeing how far behind you are on all your KALs makes me feel better about being behind on my knitting too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Tater Mitts... why didn't I think of that?