Wednesday, February 27, 2008

33

Today is David's birthday. He got a card from his friend and the card said,

"It's your birthday, and I think it's great that we're friends who can grow old together."

Inside of the card said, "You First!"

I thought that was a fun and cute card.

I didn't get him a card. But I did give him a gift first thing this morning, the secret project -



Pattern - My own, Red Sox Socks
Yarn Used - Almost 2 balls of Cascade Fixation in red and .5 ball in white
Needles - Option size 2
Gauge - 6.5 sts per inch
Knit - January 31, 08 to February 19, 2008

I knitted this toe up using my usual magic cast on, increased to the amount of stitches needed and switched to red until the heel, which I put the front on another needle to hold the stitches and joined with the white to do the short row heel. After the heel, I picked up the red and knitted the leg and did the 2x2 rib with red and white with red as knit and white as purl. I also knitted both socks at the same time so I can make sure they are the same size.

Since this was a surprise, I had to figure out another way to measure his feet - Socks here I come. I took one of his dress socks and used it as a template for the socks. I was very afraid that they are not going to fit at the cuff because of the carrying yarn in the back, but it was perfect. The socks will go perfect with the 4 tickets at Fenway playing the Yankees.



Happy 33 Babe! And happy three years.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, David! Gosh, you are sooo young - envy, envy, envy you ;-)

Robin said...

Happy B-day!
Love the socks, I've planned some "Red Sox" for my son!

Sunflowerfairy said...

Oh Happy Birthday David.

I'd say something rude about the color of the socks, but since it's your day I'll keep my Yankee mouth shut. ;)

When's opening day again?

(Great job on the socks, Jenn. See you soon. If you need someone to go to the game with you guys....heehee)

Archiknist said...

Hurray! I'm glad they fit!

KnelleyBelley said...

Best sox ever! Love them. I sure hope, though, that those are David's legs and not yours!

Happy Bday, David!

Baby Beth said...

The socks came out great, Jenn!! I'm glad they fit.

Lia Hollander said...

Oh, man I totally forgot! Happy Birthday David!

How did you score such a talented lady?

Octopus Knits said...

Happy Birthday, David! Those socks are fabulous : )

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, David!!! Very cool sox, man. :)

Maria said...

Hello! It's Maria from the Hot Cocoa Swap - your package arrived today! (Actually it arrived yesterday and I wasn't home, but in Japan they do delivery on Sunday - can you believe it?)

EVERYTHING IS PERFECT! I love, love love it all - my friend was over when it came and we enjoyed the cocoa and the chocolates together. The yarn is SO pretty and springy, beautiful! I am actually thinking of making a small scarf out of it for spring, it's too pretty to hide under shoes.

Jessica said...

Awww.... Happy B-day to your guy! And love the socks!